A former Netcong school crossing guard was indicted today on charges of sexually assaulting a child more than a decade ago, and exposing himself to four other children between 2004 and 2008.
John Esposito, 73, of Netcong was charged in August with aggravated sexual assault and child endangerment. Esposito was arrested after the then 15-year-old victim told a witness about the alleged sexual acts Esposito performed on her between June 1997 and December 1998, authorities had said.
At that time, Esposito, who had been a crossing guard for nearly 10 years, allegedly admitted to investigators that he performed sexual acts on the girl, who was between the ages of 4 and 6 at the time of the alleged sexual assault, authorities had said.
An indictment handed up by a grand jury in Superior Court in Morris County charges Esposito with first- and second-degree aggravated sex assault on the girl and two counts of third-degree endangering for incidents that occurred between June 1, 1997 and Dec. 31, 1998.
He was indicted also on four counts of fourth-degree lewdness that occurred between 2004 and 2008, of exposing himself in Netcong to four other children under the age of 13, according to the indictments.
Police suspended Esposito from the crossing guard post, though the criminal charges were not related to his job, authorities had said.
The lewdness charges relate to four other victims who came forward after the initial arrest, and those offenses also did not involve Esposito's position as a crossing guard, authorities said.
Esposito remains free on $100,000 bail.