Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ayrin Vick Arrested the Death of 3-year-old

A 27-year-old woman was arrested Wednesday morning and booked on charges of second-degree murder and child abuse in the April 7 death of a 3-year-old child, police said.

Ayrin Vick was taken into custody at her apartment at about 8:30 a.m.

On April 4, officers were called to 15740 N. 83rd Ave for a 3-year-old child not breathing. Police arrived and began CPR until Peoria firefighters took over care.

Investigators said they determined the child had injuries that were suspicious and asked the Peoria Police Department’s Special Victims Unit to take over the investigation.

An investigation determined the child's death was caused by internal injuries from blunt force trauma, police said.

Vick was home alone at her apartment with her 10-month-old child and the 3-year-old niece of Vick's live-in boyfriend, detectives said.

The boyfriend and Vick had physical custody of the niece since mid-March while the girl’s mother served a jail sentence, police said.

That afternoon, Ayrin called 911 to report that the child had “suddenly collapsed” and was not breathing, officers said. The child was rushed to Phoenix Children’s Hospital where she died.

The child was found to be covered in bruises and it appeared chunks of her hair may have been pulled out, police said. She had black and blue bruising inside both ears and on her forehead and cheeks, a cut over her left eye, a healing burn or cut under her right eye, fingertip-size bruises covering her arms, chest and abdominal area, and a large area of bruising to the small of her back, according to police reports.

Forensic professionals and a subsequent autopsy concluded the bruising was the result of inflicted blunt force trauma, investigators said.

The cause of death was ruled as complications from blunt force trauma, and the manner of death a homicide, police said.

Vick claimed the child walked to the bathroom under her own power just prior to collapsing, police said.

Doctors said that immediate medical attention would likely have saved the child’s life, according to officers.

No comments:

Post a Comment