Six convicted sex offenders have approval to move into the city of Green Bay, while four others were denied.
The city’s Sex Offender Residence Board heard 10 cases Wednesday.
Those receiving approval:
♦ Cheng Vang, 25, convicted of third-degree sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl in 2003, will be allowed to move from his home at 1300 Dousman St. to a home at 3216 Windland Drive. Vang told the board he had a long-term relationship with the girl, with whom he had a child. He and his victim, now 20, live together and have been raising their 5-year-old son together. He had been charged with second-degree sexual assault of a child, but the charge was reduced. He received three months probation for it. The board’s vote was unanimous.
♦ Kenneth Erving, 50, will be permitted to move from 1494 Main St. to 517 Newhall St. He had applied in February to move into an apartment on Day Street but was denied because four other sex offenders lived nearby. He was convicted in 1987 of having sex with a 16-year-old girl, a crime that Erving states never happened. The board’s vote was 4-1, with Dean Gerondale casting the dissenting vote.
♦ Jerry Broadnax, 51, will be allowed to move to an apartment at 1215 S. Broadway from his current residence at the state-run Transitional Living Program facility at 1761 Shawano Ave. Broadnax had served five years in prison for first-degree sexual assault of a child for fondling a 7-year-old girl in 1994. The vote was 3-2, with Gerondale and Ben Heiman casting the dissenting votes.
♦ Joshua Lark, 32, of Gladstone, Mich., will be allowed to move into his fiancee’s home at 824 S. Chestnut Ave. He was convicted in September 2008 of having consensual sexual contact with a 15-year-old girl. Lark said the girl claimed to be of legal age. The vote was unanimous.
♦ Matthew Abad, 33, who raped a woman in 2001, will be permitted to move from the Brown County Jail into the state facility at 1761 Shawano Ave. Abad told the board he made sexual advances on the woman he met at a party, and when she resisted, he forced her. The vote was 4-1, with Heiman casting the dissenting vote.
♦ Miguel Barrientos Jr., 22, will be allowed to move from a motel in Ashwaubenon into the state facility at 1761 Shawano Ave. He was convicted in 2005 of first-degree sexual assault of a child. He said it involved consensual sexual relations with a 12-year-old girl when he was 16. He was charged three years later when the girl’s mother reported the incident to police. The board’s vote was unanimous.
All of the appeals that were denied involved inmates applying to move to the Transitional Living Program, 1761 Shawano Ave.
♦ Baylan Lewis, 29, an inmate at the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility, expects to be released July 23. He was convicted in 1999 of second-degree sexual assault of a child, involving sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl, and in 1998 of fourth degree sexual assault of a child, involving sexual contact with a 12-year-old girl. The vote for denial was unanimous.
♦ David Neumann, 39, an inmate of the Oshkosh Correctional Institution, was convicted in 1999 of first-degree sexual assault involving 5-year-old relative. The vote was unanimous.
♦ Arthur Hance, 40, a Brown County Jail work release inmate, was hoping to be placed at the state facility until he could gain permission to return to his native Mississippi. He was convicted in 2008 of first-degree sexual assault of a 12-year-old girl. The vote was unanimous.
♦ Robert Berelc, 48, an inmate of the Brown County Jail, was convicted of first-degree sexual assault of a child in 1993, a case in which he forced a 10-year-old girl to perform oral sex on him. He was convicted in 2007 of soliciting a child for prostitution, for offering money to an 11-year-old Allouez girl in exchange for being allowed to touch her breasts. The vote was 4-1, with Louis Del Frate voting in the minority.